What on earth is Jamie Thompson?

Hi!

I'm a first year practice led PhD at ICMus in Newcastle University.  My practice in improvisation centres on the oboe and its integration with live-processing software via the close amplification of the instrument using contact and clip-on microphones.  This grotesque magnification of the application of flesh, wind and water to wood and metal has resulted in a tendency toward a reductionist approach to playing where I am attempting to occupy a never-ending state of "becoming" rather than striving for any form of alleged certainty.

I am keen to further develop this approach/dynamic within a group of improvisers, and also to try and explore various ways of controlling live-processing using alternative controllers like wiimotes or triggers attached to the instrument.  

I am really looking forward to meeting everyone in a couple of days.
(Will link some audio shortly)

All the best,
Jamie


Comments